Friday, May 30, 2008

Friday's FIVE!

My brother, Roger celebrates his birthday next week - on June 3rd. He lives in San Antonio with is wife and two youngest children, Delaney- (3) and Waylon (5 mo.). His oldest children, Jack (almost 20) and Allie (18) live in Indiana. While my brother cannot carry a tune in a bucket - he has never (successfully) played a musical instrument - and he certainly isn't known for his amazing rhythm... however, when it comes to music - pop - rock - current or early ... he knows it. If I ever have a music trivia question - I know I can call on him to come up with the answer.
I love this about my brother - he appreciates music as much as any musician with a major in the fine art. So - this week, in honor of my brother - as he celebrates his birthday...
my Friday FIVE! is a collection of songs or artists that make me think of him everytime I hear them played. There are so many songs and artists that he loves... and yet, for some reason... the following are the first few that come to mind....

1. Van Morrison - Real, Real Gone .... I'm really not sure why I think of him when I hear Van Morrison, I know he likes him... but I don't know how or why I remember that...
I just know that when I hear Van Morrison sing - I think of my brother. I do remember when we could first record on Casssette tapes - he recorded several of his albums for me... and a lot of them were Van Morrison albums. After all, I am brown eyed girl! http://www.vanmorrison.co.uk/

2. Mama's and the Papa's - My first "real" album... it was one of his... and I don't know if he had two of them or if he really didn't like it - but he gave me a Mama's and Papa's album from his collection of albums. I was probably 9 or 10 years old and he is 5 years older than me..... I thought it was just the coolest thing ever that my 'teenage' brother would give me one of his albums. I love the harmony of the group - and Mama Cass's beautiful alto voice.
Creeque Alley is still one of my all time favorite songs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mamas_and_the_Papas

3. Del Amitri - Roll to Me
A 1995 song that is one of my favorites... and during our 'divorce' days, I learned that it was also one of his. Roger and I were never real 'close' in the way that some siblings can be - I always loved him and looked up to him, after all, he was my big brother - but to share a close emotional sibling relationship eluded us because of the distance between us. I don't mean to imply there was animosity or competition or uneasiness between us - because there wasn't that either... we just weren't, glued at the hip - tell each other all of our secrets siblings. However, during our divorces in 2001 - we had each other.... and we became closer than we had ever been. Although it was a very difficult time, I cherish that time that I had with him. When the world was crumbling... we had each other. I will never forget that. It was during that time... that I learned he also loved Del Amitri - Roll to Me! It was a time when I learned I had more in common with my brother than I ever knew. http://www.delamitri.com/

4. Country Joe and the Fish
He was a teenager - he had friends in Viet Nam. I was afraid he would have to go. He had peace signs in his room, he had long hair and a bunch of non-conformist friends that made us laugh everyday. Roger would have his albums playing on his complex stereo system that he built himself... and while the Woodstock album was played often enough for me to remember the words...I can still hear my mother's voice calling to him down the hall...
"Roger - turn that OFF" as Country Joe bellowed..."GIMME AN 'F'".... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_Joe_and_the_Fish


5. Neil Young
I think Roger wanted to be Neil Young when he grew up - I remember hearing Neil Young, Crosby Stills and Nash and Crosby Stills Nash and Young the most - "After the Goldrush" with Tell Me Why and Southern Man. De'ja Vu with Helpless and Everybody I Love You!.
That is good stuff!!!! He loved it - I bet he still loves it... and I love it still... I love the sound of Neil Young and the rest of the CCNY voices but I also love the memories that it brings back... as I think of my brother. http://www.neilyoung.com/

Honorable mention... (this list could go on and on and on and on....)
Eddie Vetter - Last Kiss
Four Seasons - Big Girls Don't Cry
Jimi Hendrix

I love my brother - and I love to share music with him.
I hope this has your iPod spinnin' tonight Roger -

Have a GREAT week Big Bro!

Happy Birthday, I love you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh gee whiz. That’s pretty sweet. And you nailed it, too.