Monday, June 2, 2008

Living the Legacy at Yellow Creek Lake!


In the summer of 1927 - my Grandma and Grandpa Pence rented a "clean, but simple little cottage" on Yellow Creek Lake for a week. Married just 8 months, Grandpa was recovering from an adverse reaction to rabies inoculations and my Grandma was pregnant with their first child, my Aunt Barbara - they called this vacation at Yellow Creek Lake, their "Honeymoon".
The "Honeymoon" began a legacy of family fun that has spanned 5 generations.

Following this "honeymoon" my grandparents spent several summers renting and camping on the lake - and in the early 1930's built a cabin on the same lakefront property where we live today. My grandma's memories indicate that in the summer of 1929 - "something must have happened during our week at Yellow Creek Lake" = that 'something' was my father, born the following spring on April 4, 1930...

My Grandpa writes in is personal memories:

"We built a small cabin on the lot (most of the material was scrap from the lumber yard), drove a water well, and put a pitcher-pump in the kitchen. We had a pot-bellied coal stove in the front room so we could extend our seasons a bit. The cooking was done on a coal-oil stove and we had a wooden ice-box. Each time we went to the lake, the first thing I did was take the tongs and a small wagon and walk to the little store to get a 50lb. block of ice for the ice-box. It would last all weekend. We enjoyed many years at Yellow Creek Lake as our family grew up around us"


When my father and my aunt were children at Yellow Creek Lake - they became friends with a neighbor, Janyce Knotts. The Knott's continued the same Yellow Creek legacy with their own family. In 1958 I was born - and late in 1959 - Janyce Knotts Ward gave birth to Laura Ellen Ward. Laura and I grew up together at Yellow Creek Lake and in the spring of 1980 we both gave birth to daughters , Katie and Amanda. This spring- our daughters both gave birth to sons. Wyatt Kucartz and Trevor Morgan are now the 4th generation of family friends to grow up together in the fun and the sun at Yellow Creek Lake.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is so neat. Here's to the next generation!