Friday, May 23, 2008

Friday's FIVE!



I have been a strong supporter of Victims of Domestic Abuse for several years - I have lived abuse and I've loved other victims who have lived domestic abuse... and in honor of my friend, Lisa Mora - who died at the hands of her abusive husband one year ago today, this week's Friday's FIVE! is a simple focus of my favorite references and websites that support victims of domestic abuse.
I encourage any person involved in an abusive situation to GET OUT - GET HELP! There IS life after abuse. You can be peaceful and happy!


National Domestic Violence Hotline
1-800-799-SAFE
This website - and this telephone number can direct you to your local agencies that support victims of domestic violence.

National Coalition Against Domestic Violence
This is another National organization that offers a lot of valuable information - and support.


3. "The Verbally Abusive Relationship"
Patricia Evans
Patricia Evans has several books on Verbal Abuse - Domestic violence usually begins with Verbal abuse, but ends in more physical violence. A search on Amazon or at your public library on"Domestic Abuse" will direct you to many good resources.


4. "Life Strategies"
Dr. Phil McGraw
While this book isn't directly written for survivors of domestic violence - it was many of these 'Life Strategies' that helped me find my own way out of my own domestic abuse. Dr. Phil's "Life Laws" teach you principles necessary for being treated with dignity and respect.


5. Dr. Irene's Verbal Abuse Website
This site is created, owned, operated, and funded by Dr. Irene Matiatos. I believe the site has been up and running since at least 1996 - and during the worst of my roller coaster, this website gave me an avenue to voice my pain. I had personal correspondence with Dr. Irene - before and after I divorced - and her support was so eye opening and valuable to me.


PLEASE DO WHAT YOU CAN DO TO END THE LEGACY OF ABUSE...!!!!!!!!!

No comments: