Friday, August 15, 2008

Friday's FIVE!



I grew up at Yellow Creek Lake as "Laker"... I lived for summer and my summer friends. Our 'lake' season usually started on Memorial Day weekend - We would usually close up around Labor Day weekend. I can vividly remember the trip home after closing up for the summer... I would be tearful thinking about my friends that I had to say goodbye to for another year ... and at the same time, it was the longest trip home of the season.... It was long because Daddy was on the hunt, we had to take the long route, the back roads - because the search was ON for the ever elusive... highly desired....ELDERBERRY!! My Daddy grew up eating Elderberry pie - his Grandma Ballard made Elderberry pies! Now my Grandsons are growing up with Elderberry pies!!! While I dreaded the long trip home hunting for Elderberries... I also enjoyed the reward of the dark purple berry pie. When Bruce and I became 'residents' rather than lakers, I had the opportunity to spot many of the wild shrubs that grow along the fence rows along quiet country roads where we live. I still love Elderberry Pie - and I look forward to picking them and gently rubbing the berry off the spray. So - while the Elderberries are still green right now, they will ripen to a dark purple color quickly and be a delicacy for the birds - so it's time to start looking for the shrubs and keeping an eye on them for the perfect, short lived picking time! This week's Friday FIVE! is a collection of Elderberry related recipes, including my Great Grandma Ballard's handed down recipe for ElderberryPie!
1. Grandma Ballards Elderberry Pie
3 Cups Elderberries
3 Tablespoons of Flour
2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
1 Cup Sugar
Few 'dots' of butter
Pastry for a 9" 2-crust pie

Combine ingredients and and fold into a 9" Pie shell. Top with second crust. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes with edges covered with foil. Remove foil and bake 25 more minutes. Cool and serve.
(This is the traditional family recipe that has been passed on for generations)

2. My Favorite Elderberry Pie
1 quart Elderberries
1 Cup of Sugar
3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
2 T lemon juice
2 T Minute Tapioca
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 stick butter
Pastry for a 9", 2 Crust Pie

Combine ingredients and let stand for 10 minutes. Fold into pie shell, dot with butter and add second crust. Vent the top of the pie. Bake for 15 minutes at pre-heated 425 degree oven. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for 30 more minutes.
(I like the nutmeg in this pie - and the tapioca thickens the filling more than flour and is a nice balance to the crunchy seeds of the elderberry)


3. Mom's Pie Crust
2/3 Cup Crisco
2 C Gold Medal Flour
5-7 T Cold Water
1 tsp salt
Divide and rest for 1-2 hours before rolling
(My mother has always made the most beautiful pie crust ever - so perfect that they appeared mass manufactured - I've never been able to replicate her tasty crust!)


4. "Aunt Nicki's" Pie Crust
3 C Flour
1 C Shortening
1/2 tsp salt
3 T water
1 T vinegar
1 egg

Stir together water, vinegar and egg. Allow to chill while measuring other ingredients. Sift together salt and flour. Cut in 1/2 C mixture until it resembles course meal. Cut in 1/2 /C shortening until resembles peas. Toss with cold liquid until mixture sticks together. Dive into 2 balls, flatten slightly. Roll between two sheets of wax paper.
(While I love my Mom's crust - this recipe of Nicki's was always easier for me to perfect. This is a great, no-fail, flaky pie crust - but I still can't make it as pretty as Mom's!!!)


5. Elderberry Jelly
3 1/2 lbs. fully ripe elderberries
3 1/2 c. juice
1/2 fresh lemon, juiced, strained
7 1/2 c. sugar
1 box powdered fruit pectin

Remove stems from elderberries, wash and place in a large kettle with 1 cup water. Crush berries. Cover and simmer 25 minutes. Place in jelly bag and strain. Do no squeeze. Discard pulp. Pour elderberry and lemon juice in large kettle. Add sugar and stir to mix. Place over high heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Stir in pectin, bring to full rolling boil and boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and skim off foam. Ladle into sterilized hot jelly jars allowing 1/4" head space. Follow manufacturer's instructions for preparing 2 piece lid. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Start timing when water returns to a boil.
(I LOVE to can and 'put food up'... Elderberry jelly is a great way to enjoy the rich flavor of the late summer berry when the snow is flying in February!)

1 comment:

Allie said...

I love grandmas pie crust. :)