Wednesday, April 23, 2008

PURPLE MARTINS!


Several years ago, my brother gave us a Purple Martin house. We put it up - and kept it cleaned... year after year - only to attract invasive - infidels - English Sparrows. Last year - I was thrilled to see that after about 5 years, the Martins finally decided to take up residence.
We paddled the paddled boat last night and saw several in the Martin houses at the church camp....and we saw several flocks flying over the lake... I was sad to think they had arrived but were not in our Martin house. While I was working at home today - I hear the familiar 'summer' chatter of the Martins!!!! WWWWHHhhooo HHHHHoooooo...
They came back!!!
We heard the Loon last night - but I bet he heads north pretty soon.
His departure and the arrival of the Martins - is another clear indicator that summer is officially on the way!!!!!

No comments: