Friday, March 7, 2008

Friday's FIVE!



This week marks the 6th anniversary of my fathers death - I miss him. I miss his laugh -

I miss his wisdom - and I miss his love... but mostly, I miss his love for my mother, because... I know how much she misses him. My Daddy was a very smart, thoughtful man....and he loved words. He was a crossword puzzle enthusiast and an avid reader. While I'm not a big fan of crossword puzzles, I do love the English language, the study of vocabulary and am somewhat of
a linguphile.
So, in honor of my Daddy who passed on his love for words -
This weeks Friday's FIVE will focus on five of my FAVORITE words!


1. PLETHORA
- noun
overabundance; excess:


2. KISMET
- noun
Destiny; fate.


3. HOMOGENOUS
–adjective
composed of parts or elements that are all of the same kind; not heterogeneous: a homogeneous population.


4. PLACATE
–verb (used with object), -cat·ed, -cat·ing.
to appease or pacify, esp. by concessions or conciliatory gestures


5. QUINTESSENCE
–noun
1. the pure and concentrated essence of a substance.
2. the most perfect embodiment of something.

1 comment:

Roger Pence said...

Jesus. Did if every occur to you that if he had carved monster teeth out of an orange rind he could have chased the babies around the garden until they shit their pants!

I'm comforted by that particular picture of him. If one us dies horribly disfigured in a car accident, there is surely a nursing home director somewhere that owes him a favor and can make the body presentable.

I also miss his laugh. Especially that laugh of his that built from deep inside his belly and ended with him nearly crying.

Love
Big Bro