Sunday, January 6, 2008

Ramekin of Butter!


I had prepared Cornbread for our dinner tonight and realized that I didn't have any butter. I did still have some Whipping Cream that was not outdated left from holiday cooking.
I remember vividly being in Mrs. Brown's second grade class at JCKnight Elementary School in Jonesboro, Indiana. We were taught in that public school classroom to memorize Luke 2 and the 23rd Psalm, we were taught cursive writing and we were taught how to make butter. I was amazed at the way the butter formed in the glass peanut butter jar as we each took our turn shaking the jar and passing it down the row of students. I'm pretty sure that Kenny Pearson passed the jar to me - and I probably passed it on to Brian Powers. We were really making BUTTER!!! Mrs. Brown had made home made white bread and after we were all done shaking the cream into a solid substance- we were all able to have a piece of the home made bread with the delicate yellow spread. I thought I was tasting a little piece of heaven that day.
So - when I realized I didn't have any butter, but I had the left over whipping cream...
the sounds and sights and smells of JCK and Mrs. Brown's second grade class came flooding back to me. Bruce and I both took turns shaking a jar - while the beans warmed and the cornbread cooked. I placed the butter in my new LeCreuset ramekin that Katie gave me for Christmas - and I served it with our Cornbread. Once again, now 40+ years later... I experienced little taste of heaven. Home made butter!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum!!

Anonymous said...

We're still doing this occasionally down in third grade! I did have a real life churn and then I sold it. The baby food jar is more fun for the kids, anyway!