Sunday, January 18, 2009

Friday's FIVE!



In 1976 - my Grandmother gave me a wedding shower gift ... it was a little plaque that had a prayer on it.... the last sentence of the prayer was... "and grant them with the love of their children's children".... Nine years ago today ... January 18. 2000 - The good Lord answered that prayer....and I was given the greatest blessing of my life... I became a Grandmother! This week's Friday's FIVE! is a birthday tribute to Tyler and five happy thoughts/memories I have about Tyler.


1. I was so excited the day Tyler was born... a few weeks premature - his entry was a little scary and he was a little vulnerable - He spent a few days in the NICU at Marion General Hospital before his heart rate and O2 levels regulated. He was also jaundiced and the Drs. told Katie that he had to begin eating good before he could go home....We were two Moms on a Mission! I stayed the entire night at the hospital with her - and we worked together to get that beautiful baby to nurse successfully ... and it worked! Not long after that long night...Tyler came home and the joyous journey of being a grandparent had begun!!!


2. Tyler was only 2 1/2 years old when we moved to the lake full time. That first winter - he spent a snowy weekend with us. I wil never forget the sight of Bruce (on Cross Country Skiis) pulling him on a sled. We came in and warmed up our hands and enjoyed hot chocolate. The new snow at Yellow Creek Lake was a new winter wonderland that none of us had ever experienced...and it was a wonderful day that I'll never forget!


3. Tyler loves hot hot hot food... I remember when he was barely able to sit in a high chair... feeding him beans from Flores Mexican Restaurant in Gas City and he LOVED it! He has grown to love Louisianna Hot Sauce - hot wings - hot salsa.... you name it, he loves it HOT HOT HOT!! We were invited to share his birthday dinner tonight.... and his request was ENCHILADAS...

4. We spend a lot of hours watching Tyler spin around the lake on a tube... teeth chattering...lips blue - but he continues to point his thumb up..."Faster, Grandpa Bruce, Faster...." He loves to spend summer days at the lake... swimming, tubing, paddling, hunting for tadpoles and crawdaddies... Sometimes - Bruce and Tyler will take off on the pontoon... or paddleboat or kayak and I won't see them for hours... Tyler is the 5th generation to spend time at Yellow Creek Lake and we love to have him visit!

5. Tyler is a such a loving child - and his Mom and Dad have done a wonderful job raising such a smart, thoughtful boy. My heart melts when he wraps his long lanky arms around me and gives me big hugs and tells me he loves me or when I see him snuggled in the chair on Bruce's lap - eating popcorn and watching a movie. He has been on Bruce's lap since he was two years old...and at 9 years old, he is now all arms and legs - but he still loves to spend evenings on Grandpa's lap. I love that he is not too big to love his MeMe and Grandpa!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TYLER!!!!

No comments: