Friday, January 2, 2009

Friday's FIVE!

HAPPY NEW YEAR! 2009!

Celebrating the New Year... a time for new beginnings - a time to reflect on the year that has past. My focus for 2008 was to focus on the things that are ESSENTIAL...
ESSENTIAL to me....not necessarily 'simple' - but essential. I focus on "mission statements" rather than 'resolutions'. It is my 'focus' for the year... so I don't necessarily have 'goals' to achieve... but a focus on my life. I try every day to think about my mission... and how I can focus my life toward that mission on that day.... Living 'Essential' in 2008... It is interesting to me that I chose to focus on the essential things when our economy bottoms out and at the end of the year - the focus for everyone becomes the essential things - focusing on what truly matters most.

This weeks Friday's FIVE! is a tribute to the essentials in my life....

1. My husband, Bruce... My soulmate, my best friend. I am so thankful for this peaceful man...for my partner. I love my life - and I tell him that every day. We enjoy every day together of our life together - Essential for Bruce this year was the hard work he invested to earn his Associates Degree...I'm proud of you - I LOVE YOU BRUCE!

2. My amazing daughters... These women are such a strong, amazing essential force in my life.
In their relatively short life, they have both faced many challenges...and they always rise above every situation. It has been an essential year for both of them... as Katie and Phil welcomed their second son, Trevor...and Betsy married her soulmate - Debbie. I am so blessed to have such wonderful daughters... my friends. I love you KATIE and BETSY - and PHIL and DEBBIE!

3. My Mother - My mother has always been an amazing, essential force in my life... and this year has not been any different. This has been an essential year for Mother. We have faced challenges together this year that have changing effects on our lives... We are facing transitions and adversity - and I will be there for my mother every step of the essential way...
I love you MOM!!! (I love you heaps and heaps and heaps and....)

4. My Grandsons... My legacy - these boys bring soooo much essential joy to my life...Unconditional - JOY. The hugs and kisses that Tyler gives me and the smile that beams across Trevors face when he greets me... are the essential things in life that truly gives breath to my day. These are truly the essential things!!! I love you TYLER and TREVOR!

5. My Brother - We are five years and 1300 miles apart. We have had other essential years - but this one has been one of the defining years. We are a team... and we work together well. I'm thankful that we are positively focused for the essentials in our lives... I love you ROGER and COLLEEN!

As always - this is NOT an all inclusive list... there are so many 'essentials' in my life... Of course all of my extended family is essential to me. All of Bruce's family... my cousins and my neices and nephews...my Aunts and my Uncle and all of my essential friends that have stood by throughout this year...

The essential things in my life aren't 'things'... it isn't crystal or keepsakes... or the house in which I live - it isn't the mountains I climb or the waters I paddle. It isn't a pair of earrings or the car I drive. It isn't the size of jeans that I wear or the style of my hair... The true essentials in our lives are those that we love... and those that love us. I'm lucky to have so many wonderful 'essentials' in my life!