Thursday, November 13, 2008

Friday's FIVE!

Job's Daughters is an organization of young women between the ages of 10 and 20 who are related to a Master Mason - My mother was a past Honored Queen for Jobs Daughters - and her father was Master Mason, so it was only natural for me to consider Jobs Daughters as a pre-teen. It was customary for an officer of Jobs Daughters and a Guardian to visit your home when you expressed an interest in joining the Bethel. It was Nicki Ball and her mother that visted my house that day. Nicki was a pretty, popular high school cheerleader - and I wanted to be just like her. Little did I know at that time, that Nicki would be one of the closest friends I have ever had - my 'Best Bud' , my "BB" as we have referred to each other.
Nicki and I have kids close to the same age - and we were involved in several organizations together, it was only natural that we would be connected. We became very close though when we also became neighbors - we were neighbors in Marion and neighbors at the lake. My kids call her "Aunt Nicki" - Our families spent a lot of time together.., and Nicki and I shared recipes and entertaining ideas ... and Saturday afternoons. When my 25 year marriage ended, Nicki was my true, unconditional... stand beside me...listen to me cry, hold my hand friend. When I moved from my family home - she understood my grief... When I married Bruce, she shared my happiness...and when I moved from Marion - other than my family, it was Nicki I missed the most.
Today - Nicki still lives in Marion ... but we have remained BB's in spite of the distance.... Nicki and I spend hours painting or working glass at the Pottery Bayou - we email ... we talk... we text... We share laughs...we share tears ... and we share joy...Nicki is my forever friend!
This week on November 12th, Nicki celebrated her birthday...it was also Kent, her husbands birthday...and their wedding anniversary - So - in honor of my BB, who is also an amazing cook -
This weeks Friday FIVE! is five of "Aunt Nicki's" recipes that have become family favorites!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. AUNT NICKI'S PASTA SALAD
12-16 Oz cooked and drained Pasta
1 8oz bottle Italian Oil and Vinegar Salad Dressing
3 oz pkg. sliced Pepperoni
1 1/4 C Sliced black olives
1 small sliced red onion
1C chopped green, red and yellow pepper
1/4C chopped fresh parsley
1/2 - 3/4 C shredded parmesan cheese
Combine ingredients and refrigerate
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2.HOT ARTICHOKE DIP
A Family Holiday Favorite!
1C grated fresh parmesan cheese
3/4 C Mayonnaise
1 C Chopped/Drained Artichoke Hearts
Bake in a shallow pan - 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes until bubbly and golden brown.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
3. NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS ROLLS
2 Loaves frozen bread, slightly thawed
Chopped Pecans
1 Pkg instant Butterscotch Pudding
1 C Melted Butter
1 C Brown Sugar
Slice bread into 1" thick rounds. Sprinkle pecans into a lightly greased 13X9 pan
Place bread on top of Pecans
Stir melted butter and brown sugar over low heat until sugar melts
Pour over bread and cover with wax paper and towel over night
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Cool 15 minutes and invert on platter to serve
Sprinkle with dry pudding over bread
(Bruce LOVES this recipe!)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
4. NICKI'S SUMMER SALAD
Known to us now as (Katie's Wedding Salad)
1-2 Bunches Romaine
1 pt. sliced strawberries
1/2 med sweet onion, thinly sliced rings
1/2 c slivered almonds
1/3 C Sugar
1 T Butter
Melt Sugar and butter until carmelized over med heat, stir in almonds until coated.
Pour onto wax paper and crush when cooled
DRESSING
3/4 C Hellmans Mayo
1/4 C Milk
2 T poppy seed
1/3 C white sugar
2T Raspberry Vinegar
Combine Romaine, strawberries & onions. Top with crushed almond candy and toss with dressing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
5. CHRISTMAS MORNING HASHBROWN CASSEROLE
Combine 1 C Sharp Cheddar Cheese, 1/4 tsp pepper and 1/2 tsp salt
Cook 1/4 finely chopped onion in 1 T butter until translucent
Add to cheese mixture
Fold in 1/2 C Sour Cream and 1 Can Cream of Chicken soup
Combine mixture with 4 1/2 C frozen O'Brien Potatoes with red and green pepper
Top with 3 C crushed potatoe chips tossed in 1/4C butter
Place into 9X13 pan and bake in 350 degree preheated oven for 50-55minutes
(I had to call Katie for this recipe, and she said to me "This recipe is on one of my most treasured pieces of paper - Aunt Nicki gave me this paper with her handwritten Christmas morning recipes and a Christmas morning timeline...I truly cherish it")
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Honorable Mention -
GRADUATION APRICOT SALAD
2 3oz pkg Orange Jello
1 C boiling water
1 16 oz can apricots, peeled, drained and mashed
2 jars baby food apricots
1 pint sour cream
Disolve jello in boiling water, add baby food and apricots to jello.
Whip sourcream until smooth, spray mold with PAM. Pour into mold and chill overnight.
Nicki made this for Katie's High School graduation open-house and Katie wanted to make sure this recipe was included, as it is one of her very favorites!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, that woman must be one good cook! But her husband of 32 years claims that lately the cupboards are bare and all they eat is junk food. There is some concern between the two of them that they will be referred to as the "Butterball" family at the upcoming nuptuals.

You are so nice--thank you for the birthday wishes and compliments--love, BB.