Friday, April 17, 2009

Friday's FIVE!













My friend Esther and I went to the Wagon Wheel Theater this weekend to see Sawyer Brown...
a group that has been performing for over 27 years. Iwas a fan of of the TV show, Star Search... and Sawyer Brown won that competition in 1983 and have continued with a long and successful run. Esther and I always have a good time together, and our husbands don't enjoy country music... so we make it a girls night to go to these concerts. It was a fun concert - and it reminded me of several other concerts that I have attended. I've been to many concerts - and many different types of music - from Arrowsmith and Kiss to Clint Black and Martina McBride to James Taylor... Hootie and the Blowfish, Dave Matthews Band...Sara McLaughlin, Elton John and Billy Joel - but this weeks Friday's FIVE! is Five of the 'stand-out' concerts I've attended...

1. Diana Ross - Steve and I went to Roselawn in 1982 to see Diana Ross and it was an AMAZING performance... it was truly chilling to see such a superstar!

2. Bette Midler - I have been a Bette Midler fan since 1972...before many people had even heard of Bette Midler. I've had the chance to see her a few times and I've never been disappointed by the show she puts on... The costumes...the music... the performances.... the stage.

3. Jimmy Buffett - FINS TO THE LEFT! What else can you say... ???? There is nothing like a Jimmy Buffett concert... Bruce and I saw Jimmy Buffett in Sept. 2001 - with Roger and Colleen. It was right after Bruce and I had started dating...and it was the first concert Buffett had performed since 9/11. He was scheduled to play at Deercreek on 9/11 and this was the re-scheduled event. It was a show I'll never forget.... We've seen him a few times since... but nothing has compared to that concert.

4. Ringo Star and his All Starr Band - with Ringo Starr - drums, vocals
Joe Walsh - guitar, vocals , Nils Lofgren - guitar, vocals , Todd Rundgren - guitar, vocals
Dave Edmunds - guitar, vocals Burton Cummings - keyboards, vocals , Timothy B. Schmit - bass, vocals , Zak Starkey - drums , Timmy Cappello - saxaphone.
We went to this concert with Laura and Jeff Farber...Laura was working for a radio company that had the security contract with Sunshine promotions. Because of Laura's connections...we had backstage passes...and we were able to meet Ringo Starr and all of the rest of the All Starr band - Ringo shook our hands and said - "very nice to meet you"... it was something I'll never forget!

5. Tim McGraw and Faith Hill - The concert was fantastic...and the couple put on a great show - but the best part of this concert was that this was a girls night. Mom, Katie and Betsy and I went to Indianapolis to see the concert at Conseco Fieldhouse. We had dinner in the Varsity Club and sat on the rail while were served dinner and beer and wine throughout the concert. It was such a wonderful evening...and a memory that we all hold very close and dear to our hearts...

No comments: