Friday, December 5, 2008

Friday's FIVE!



I love Christmas... I love everything about it - and I especially love Christmas Music! During this Holiday Season many radio stations begin playing Christmas music nonstop the weekend after Thanksgiving - and I am constantly listening to the familiar tunes on the radio, on my iPod, streaming through my computer or on the TV. This week I will focus on five special songs of the season. Five songs that I love -
~~~~~~~~
1. While Shepherds Watched Their Flock -
A tradition hymn - dating back to the 1700's, based on the Gospel of Luke - 2:8-14. I can remember singing this song in church choir when I was about 7 years old...and I can remember both of my girls singing this song in Childrens Choir in church - We sang this hymn in church today and I still feel like Martha Daugherty is directing me when I hear this song.
~~~~~~~~
2. Christmas Cookies and Holiday Hearts
by Ruth Roberts and Bill Katz. We had this song on an album - a real record album... and we played this album over and over again when the girls were small. I can remember singing this song and baking cookies with the girls when they were very little. I remember one time baking cookies and decorating them - Betsy piled all the sprinkles and decorations in one small cookie. It was beautiful! We still sing this song to each other at Christmas time! "Christmas Cookies and Holiday Hearts... thats the way - the Holiday Starts! Christmas Cookies and Holiday Hearts...Goody Goody YUM YUM YUM!!!!
~~~~~
3. Where are you, Christmas? Written by James Horner and performed by Faith Hill. The song was written for the 2000 version of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" - I remember sitting at the movie theater listening to this song in tears....My personal life was in the midst of emotional upheaval - but this was a reminder that the blessed season was going to come - even without ...The ribbons! The wrappings! The tags! And the tinsel! The trimmings! The trappings! I had the true blessing of a new Grandson - and the promise of the Christ child... for
Peace on Earth, Goodwill to all!
~~~~~~
4. Joy to the World - Mannheim Steamroller. I also love Coventry Carol, Carol of the Birds, Good King Wenceslas and all of the wonderful Christmas songs by Mannheim Steamroller. These songs bring back many fond memories of wonderful Christmas days spent in our beautiful 1888 Victorian home on Spencer Avenue in Marion... the parties, the festivities and the friends. I still laugh when I think of the girls referring to them as "Mannheim Rollerblade" - and two years ago, I had a wonderful , festive holiday evening with my Mother... we had a wonderful dinner at Eddie Merlot's and then we enjoyed a fantastic concert at the Memorial Coliseum in Fort Wayne. We had a front row table and enjoyed wine and cheese - while Mannheim Steamroller palyed all of the Christmas favorites. It was a special holiday evening I will never forget.
~~~~~~~
5. Silent Night - Of course, Silent Night would be the Favorite. I have so many wonderful memories of Christmas Eve services at First United Methodist Church, singing out the candle-light service to Silent Night... I remember many different versions... and many different times.
The services always end in silence... as the congregation walks silently out of the church.... into the "Silent Night"....
~~~~~~
Honorable Mention
Still Still Still ... is a beautiful carol and I love the peacefulness of this song. We sang this in Church choir more than once - and I have several different versions on my iPod.
Fum Fum Fum - I can remember singing this song in the Church choir directed by JoAnn Rediger - and standing in the alto section next to my dear, dear friend, Sandy Steele. I also have many of renditions of this on my iPod.
Hot Chocolate - and all the rest of the music from Polar Express

No comments: